You may think of your vacation as just a way to get away and relax for a few days, but how you spend your money when you travel affects whether or not it actually benefits the people who live there.
“I think the first thing people have to do is get away from all-inclusive holidays,” said Bruce Poon Tip, the founder of Toronto-based small group adventure travel company and social enterprise G Adventures.
Poon Tip spoke to Canada.com on the occasion of World Tourism Day, an annual event marked by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) every September 27. This year’s theme is about the role of tourism in creating jobs, something that the UNWTO says is often undervalued despite tourism generating 10 percent of the world’s employment.
“People should ask questions to make sure they’re staying in locally-owned accommodations and then when they get there, just go out and shop at different places and hire different local guides to spread their wealth when they spend their money,” said Poon Tip.
- Yes, an airline passenger opened the emergency door because it was ‘too stuffy.’ https://t.co/bdXJM6F83j
- Saudi Arabia wants you to come on vacation. https://t.co/DiS3CDj0WY
- Japan Airlines has revealed a new tool that lets you dodge infants when you book your seat. https://t.co/DLr2GJyj21
- Window vs. aisle seat on the plane? The debate rages on. https://t.co/6U9SgT48jF
- Sharing the samurai spirit with travellers. https://t.co/4IL1SfHhFz
- Frequent flyer programs have become increasingly elitist. Is it time to end them? https://t.co/FGPEiGWn2W
- In the wake of the bankruptcy of Thomas Cook, here’s a look back at the history of the father of modern tourism.… https://t.co/3uAq9VswZ4
- Bahamas tourism leaders are urging travellers to visit islands bypassed by Hurricane Dorian.… https://t.co/aIqHio7rtp
- If you’re tour bus has seatbelts, you should use them, say these experts. https://t.co/a8uWvnZNLI
- How did clapping on planes become such a divisive issue? https://t.co/m44rAr0WrC
- This survey reveals the worst parts of travelling by air and the item that topped the list surprised me.… https://t.co/uuXEfxpozt
- No, you can’t move into those empty premium economy seats because they cost extra. https://t.co/RCAp2VpbLn
- Are these edible meal trays the future of in-flight dining? https://t.co/wQWoeE0CYy
- This redesign would turn a plane’s cargo bay into prime real estate. https://t.co/mcxEvTyBZB
- Here are some reasons why you should book your next trip for the off-season. https://t.co/y4sI5ZYf18
- These 30 U.S. vacation cities have been ranked from worst to best for your wallet. https://t.co/Du2dqu0iRi
- Travellers want more connectivity while flying, says this survey. Personally, I relish the opportunity to be disconnect, if only for a few hours… https://t.co/ATJrca0i5l
- Which of these 9 TSA rules are you unwittingly breaking? https://t.co/kDSjaKK19j
- These are the world’s most travel-ready countries, according to the World Economic Forum. https://t.co/cRivLDTui4
- This video explains 10 ways to prevent identity theft while traveling. https://t.co/pNBsGbp7fn